Know before you go:
⇩ What will my expenses be?

Participants need to be able to cover their flight expenses to China, passport/visa application fees, background check, and physical exam with a physician. The flight allowance of 7500RMB (around $1100) will be given to each participant upon his/her completion of the program. A monthly salary of 5000RMB (around $730/month) is paid to each participant. Schools provide housing and may provide meals if you live on campus.

⇩ Does Ameson arrange my international flights?

Each participant is responsible for booking his/her own flight; however, any questions can be directed to the AYC staff. Ameson recommends booking a flight as soon as your work visa has been successfully processed. Make sure you double-check everything, pay attention to the time-zone differences, and be certain you are arriving at the correct airport in China.

⇩ How does the flight reimbursement work?

Each AYC participant is reimbursed 7500 RMB ($1100 USD) at the end of the program. It will be deposited into the debit account you will have received from your school shortly after arrival in China. The reimbursement is not given until successful completion of the program to maintain the contract between the AYC participant and the program. That being said, if you decide to leave China before the end of the academic year, you will forfeit your reimbursement.

⇩ Is there a list of documents I'll need?

Documents required:
  • Current resume
  • Diploma (an unofficial transcript is acceptable for initial screening but originals will be necessary before final placement can be completed)
  • Valid passport (If you do not have a passport, go here to apply)
  • Multiple copies of 2x2, passport-sized photo
  • Physical Examination Record for foreigners (must be stamped by physician’s office).
  • Background check (obtained at police station)
  • Letter of Explanation (applicant must write statement to address criminal history)

⇩Do I need to pay for TEFL training and certification?

No. AYC provides comprehensive training that culminates in a 120-hour, internationally-recognized TEFL certificate - great for securing future employment abroad. Paying for TEFL is one way we invest in our Educational Ambassadors and the future of cultural exchange. TEFL training consists of two major components: online and on-site. Online TEFL training occurs at home from the comfort of your personal computer. On-site training occurs in China as part of the orientation. Besides allowing you to work and reside legally in China, the TEFL certificate is an impressive addition to your portfolio of accomplishments.

⇩[Equal Opportunity] Who can apply for the Ameson Year in China program?

In the spirit of Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, national origin, age or sex, does not exist in any area, activity, or operation of the Ameson Education and Cultural Exchange Foundation. Actions including, but not limited to, placement, transfer, and training are based solely on merit.

⇩ When does the program start and end?

The program typically starts with an in-person orientation in Shanghai at the end of August. The Chinese academic year runs from September to June of next year with a break for Lunar New Year in February.

⇩ Does the work visa expire at the end of the school year?

The work visa and the resulting residence permit that your host school arranges for you typically expires around the end of the school year but can be extended in certain cases. This is to give AYC participants time to arrange for plans after the program ends.

⇩ I wanted to travel throughout China, or to another country during a break or after the program, would I need a different visa to do that?

Your residence permit (obtained via your work visa) is multiple entry and will allow you to enter and exit China freely. American citizens can enter over 160 countries visa-free or with visa on arrival, but Educational Ambassadors are encouraged to double-check prior to traveling.

⇩ Is teaching experience necessary to participate in the program?

Prior teaching experience is not required but certainly a plus. If you have two or more years of teaching experience, please make sure to let us know when you apply as you may not need to complete TEFL training and may qualify for other Ameson programs designed for teaching professionals.

⇩ How does the placement process work?

Placement in a host school is coordinated in partnership with the Ambright Group in Shanghai, China. A candidate’s placement depends partly on a school’s need and partly on a candidate’s preferences. Placements may take several weeks as Ameson, Ambright and host schools take great care in matching teachers with schools to ensure a good fit. However, please be aware that we cannot guarantee placement in any specific city, school, or classroom.

⇩ Can I request a specific type of school or location?

Although we cannot guarantee specific placement, we do try our best to find a location and type of school that fit your preferences.

⇩ Can I be placed at the same institution as a friend also participating?

Although we cannot guarantee that you and your friend will be placed near each other, we have been able to accommodate such requests in the past.

⇩ I have not completed my Bachelor’s degree, can I still participate?

No. Our program requires that all applicants have at least completed a Bachelor's degree before final placement. This is a requirement to obtain a work visa.

⇩ Will I have a Chinese language tutor?

We provide survival Chinese lessons for Educational Ambassadors new to the language, and most host schools will arrange for some form of Chinese language instruction.

⇩ How competitive is the application process?

The Ameson Year in China Program is selective but not competitive. While there are minimal requirements (must be a native English speaker, US/ UK/ Australia/ New Zealand/ Canada citizenship, and have a completed Bachelor’s degree or higher), a lengthy application process is involved. Each candidate is initially screened and interviewed (after submitting a resume, cover letter, and application) to assess his/her qualifications, potential, and motivations for participating in AYC. After passing the interview process, each candidate must complete and submit several required documents, as well as complete an online TEFL course, exam, and evaluation. Upon passing this portion of TEFL certification, the candidate will begin the visa application process.

⇩ I am not a U.S. citizen, can I still apply for the program?

The AYC program currently welcomes applications from qualified native English speakers from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

⇩ Does the AYC program allow me to qualify for student loan deferral?

Ameson cannot provide student loan deferment. We recommend participants to contact the loan servicer to apply for deferment or forbearance. For more information, visit

⇩ What do you look for in a candidate?

Ideally, we look for someone who has traveled abroad before, has had some teaching or tutoring experience, is interested in Chinese culture and language, enjoys interacting with school-aged children, and is open to different worldviews.

⇩ Can I bring my pet?

Ameson does not encourage participants to bring a pet to China because of the expenses involved (which we do not cover) and strict health, quarantine, agriculture, wildlife, and customs requirements and prohibitions. For more information, see the U.S. Department of State’s website for information on taking a pet overseas.

⇩ Does Ameson provide reimbursement for visa?

Ameson will not reimburse visa-related costs. However, the residence permit foreign teachers are required to obtain once they arrived in China will be reimbursed or paid for by the participant’s host school.

⇩ What is religion/religious freedom like in China?

Foreign nationals are free to practice their respective religions in China as long as this does not include proselytizing.

⇩ Is there an age limit?

AYC is committed to the ideals of global citizenship and educational exchange, and we encourage college graduates of all ages who are ready to become Educational Ambassadors to apply. The Ameson Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

⇩ Does Ameson have an official blog for teachers to post on?

You are welcome to follow Ameson Year in China’s YouTube channel with videos from past participants. We also have a Facebook group where accepted candidates can share links, post questions, etc.

⇩ What does the provided health insurance cover? When should I purchase my own coverage?

First, you should consult your physician before deciding whether or not to travel. AYC partner schools provide basic health insurance packages. These policies are suitable for healthy people who may become sick or experience an accident while in China. They do not cover pre-existing conditions, or complications that may be related to a pre-existing condition. If you have a pre-existing condition or believe that you will need to visit a hospital, we recommend that you enter China with your own international coverage.

⇩ Will I need to pay U.S. taxes on my income?

Upon request, host schools will help Educational Ambassadors with their application for a receipt for tax paid on income earned while in China. Be sure to plan ahead for this as the process should be completed while the applicant is still on-location in China.

For questions about US tax returns, as each individual case is different, we suggest that Educational Ambassadors refer to the IRS guidelines here for further information on tax reporting for foreign earned income.

⇩ Are the Chinese language courses, offered each week, online or in person?

Survival Chinese language lessons are provided during your week-long orientation in China. We suggest subscribing to a podcast or watching YouTube videos to begin getting familiar with the language. Additionally, we provide weekly, group-based, online Chinese language instructions.

⇩ Do I need to speak Mandarin?

Although a prior knowledge of Mandarin or any of the other Chinese languages is not necessary, it is certainly helpful.