Taizhou is a city on the eastern coast of China's Zhejiang province, facing the East China Sea. It is located 300 km (190 mi) south of Shanghai and 230 km (140 mi) southeast of Hangzhou, the provincial capital. It is bordered by Ningbo to the north, Wenzhou to the south, and Shaoxing, Jinhua, and Lishui to west.
Air: Taizhou Huangyan Airport (HYN) is located in Luqiao District. It has direct flights to Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Fuzhou, Wuhan, Xiamen, Xi'an and other cities.
Train: The Taizhou Railway Station connects the city with Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Fuzhou, Ningbo, Shenzhen and many other cities in China by high speed trains.
Bus: Its chief bus station, located in Luqiao District, operates long distance buses to many other cities in the mainland. The No.901 city bus links the city's three districts together, providing a convenient way to travel around the city.
Taxi: Taizhou taxi starts at ¥5 for the first 3 kilometers, and go up by ¥1.9 per extra kilometer
Boat: Haimen Port is the third largest port in Zhejiang. The passenger wharf has scheduled routes to many islands
Historical sites and sightseeing opportunities
Taizhou has 62 natural scenic spots and 62 artificial sights, which include more than 10 scenic spots rated at the national level.
- Tiantai Mountain: It is a national AAAA scenic area, not only famous for its breath-taking scenery, but also for its Buddhism and Taoism culture. Guoqing Temple, Shiliang Waterfall, and Huading Peak are just a few of the beautiful historical and natural wonders worth seeing here.
- Shenxianju Scenic Area: Located in Xianju County, the area attracts visitors with its fairytale-like landscapes. The highlights are the unusually shaped mountain peaks (like the “Sleeping Beauty” mountains below), rocks and waterfalls. There are too many things of note to mention here, so definitely check everything out on your own!
- Taozhu Provincial Scenic Area: A national geological park in Linhai, the park holds the famous Taozhu Ancient Town and Coral Rock.
- Fangshan-Nansong Mountain Scenic Area: Linked with the famous Yandang Mountain, it is composed of three parts: Fangshan Mountain, Lion Peak and Longjiangmen Gateway.
- Changyu Dongtian Scenic Area: A national AAAA scenic spot in Wenling, the grand cave scenery was formed due to exploration some 1,500 years ago. Thousands of caves link together to form a natural music hall.
Here are some other sights to check out:
- Shitang Fishing Village
- Dalu Island
- Dachen Island
- Shepan Island
- Sea World
- Wu Zixiong Glass Art Exhibition Hall
- Yuhuan Agricultural Sightseeing Garden
- Shaddock Orchard
There are several great places to shop in Taizhou- here are a few recommendations
- China Daily-Necessities Mall - This is one of the biggest daily necessities shopping centers in the area. Located at No.88 West Xin’an Street, Luqiao District.
- Donghai Shopping Mall: Located in Shiqiaotou Town, East Zhongshan Road.
- Tesco- This store is a British multinational grocery and general merchandise retailer. It usually has a mixture of Chinese and imported goods.
There are also several grocery stores:
- Auchan Donghai Branch: Located at No.455 Donghai Dadao Economical Development Area
- Century Lianhua Supermarket Shifu Dadao Branch: Located at No. 555 Shifu Dadao
The traditional food in Taizhou is Zhejiang Cuisine. If you don't like spicy cuisine, but prefer fish and seafood, then this is the food style for you.
Some famous dishes are: West Lake Fish in Vinegar, Fried Shrimp with Longjiang Tea, and Dongpo Pork. To read more about them, see the Quzhou Page